Thursday, October 14, 2010

Homework Blues

     As I shuffled into the classroom, I knew that Mr. Van Camp would never believe me. I looked at my scuffed shoes and mumbled, "My homework is not done, Sir. I do have a good excuse though."

     Mr. Van Camp scowled as he looked up from the papers he was marking. "This is not the first time your homework has not been completed. Perhaps, he suggested, 'it's time to speak with your parents."

     "Please, you have no idea what will happen to me if you phone my home," I moaned.
"Well, let's hear your excuse. It better be good."

     I scrambled to come up with a good explanation. The first thing that came to mind was "I was dreadfully sick." Really, that's the best I could come up with. I looked well enough to be at school the next day.

     "Oh," remarked a disappointed Mr. Van Camp, I waited nervously for a response, "I guess that's a reasonable excuse."

     I let out a sigh of momentary relief, "Thank you for understanding."

     "Cole," he sharply remarked, "I expect your homework on my desk tomorrow morning."

     I nodded my head in agreement. "Yes, Mr Van Camp."

Panic started to set in. He had already given the class two periods to complete the homework and I hadn't even started.

     "Um, Mr. Van Camp," I hesitated, "I can't have the homework in by tomorrow."

     He had a jaded look on his face. "Why?'

     I couldn't handle the guilt. I had to tell him the truth. "I didn't finish," I quietly stuttered, "I haven't even started." I couldn't look at him. I paused apprehensively.

     He grunted angrily. "I've had enough I'm calling your parents."

     I was in no position to reason.

     "Hello," my mom effervescently responded.

     "Hi, it's Mr Van Camp regarding Cole's school work."

     I listened closely, indignantly mom asked, "What did he do?"
I was beyond in trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment